Unless otherwise requested, this will be my last post on protein for a while. I promise. Maybe.
While I don’t think this really matters that much, most people on Earth get their protein 60% from plants, 40% from animals. Flip those values for the Americas and Europe.
Wrt protein: I think quantity from diverse sources is more important than shooting for some specific amino acid score. It’s more practical and less guesswork, imo.
- Sarcopenia sucks (P<0.05). It’s one of the leading causes of reduced quality of life.
- Anabolic resistance: dietary protein intake usually stimulates muscle protein synthesis. This is reduced in inflammation and aging. There are a few steps to get around this.
- Protein balance is muscle protein synthesis (MPS) AND muscle protein breakdown (MPB). The authors acknowledged this in the intro (YAY!), but the whole review focused on the former.
- In general, it is thought that dietary protein supports MPS while insulin blunts MPB (over-simplified).
As detailed below, strategies to augment muscle protein synthesis (MPS) to the anabolic effects of dietary protein:
- increase the dose (moar protein) — added protein provides more substrate to support MPS. Protein-induced insulin secretion helps blunt MPB
- exercise can sensitize skeletal muscle to the anabolic effects of protein
- seafood/DHA may have a similar sensitizing effect (2 or 3 studies support this)
- cheat code LEUCINE (supported by many studies) – the gymbroni’s got this one right. It’s why whey, soy, and lean chicken are go-to’s: most leucine per calorie. Steak, nuts, and eggs have it too, but much less per calorie.
For the rest of this article and more, head over to Patreon! Join the community for up-to-date information about a variety of topics in the health & optimizing wellness space. Five bucks a month for access to this and all previous articles. It’s ad-free and you can cancel if it sucks
For personalized health consulting services: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Affiliate links: Still looking for a pair of hot blue blockers? TrueDark is offering 10% off HERE and Spectra479 is offering 15% off HERE. If you have no idea what I’m talking about, read this then this.